Thursday 9 August 2007

First Flight, First Crash

After setting up the heli, tracking the blades and doing the switch and fuse mod. I decided to give my heli a go today. (at least I hoped that its all setup and tracked).

As you might have guessed from the title it crashed. Not exactly a crash as I was not hovering higher than a foot but more of a hard landing where the edge of main blade brushed against the kerb and got damaged. I guess I need to order more blades.

Anyways before the crash I observed a few things.

1. Tail turning to left.
When I increased the throttle, just enough to make the heli light on its skids but not in air. The tail would start turning towards left.
I suspect it could be the ground turbulence or the gyro gains but during my test I adjusted the rudder trim to compensate.

2. Heli moving backward and sideways
When I would slightly increase the throttle to try hopping, the heli always tried to move backwards (nose up) and side ways (towards right). I tried to compensate for that using trims but never got it right and that what actually caused it to tilt and hit the kerb.



Picture of damaged rotor

No comments: